Friday, November 05, 2010

Little things

I'm finding the little things are really exciting.

Examples of good things:

My six year old put his arms around me this morning to give me a hug and said "Mum, my arms go all the way around you now and they touch at the back. I like you being skinny Mum"...............*tear*

People at work telling me that my clothes are getting too big and its about time I went and got something smaller....hehehe

My cousin giving me her size 14 'little black dress' because it is too small for her now (and I use to go shopping with her when I was size 22 and she was a 14).

Being able to wear more fitted clothing and NOT constantly pulling them off my tummy and down twards my knees.

Having people I know NOT recognise me in the street (this can occasionally be annoying though).....LOL

Being able to go and have a drink with my husband at the clubrooms after his touch rugby game because I'm not horrified to have any of his friends see how discusting look (he has NEVER felt like this - it has always been in my head).

Being able to bend over and tie my shoelaces up without discomfort and without huffing and puffing when I get up.

Having my rings get too loose (even though this is going to cost me money soon when I have to get them re-sized).

Enjoying more quality (active) time with my family rather than sitting on the couch.

Suck-in underwear...........enough said!


Examples of not so good things:

Not having enough money to just go and buy when I need (not want).....didn't allow for this at all (ie. undies, bra's, work pants, tops). I thought I'd get away with it until I hit my goal weight but even with 'hand me downs' from friends, I'm still finding I don't have enough clothes.

Absolutely NO IDEA how to shop as a slimmer person. Now you think this wouldn't be a 'not so good thing' but I really, honestly have NO IDEA what styles suit me and what cuts to wear. I really don't want to be one of these people who lose weight and then start wearing clothes that aren't appropriate (Mutton dressed as lamb).

Can't handle alcohol. Again this should really be a positive as I'm now a cheap drunk. I can only handle 3 bourbons maximum but when your at a party or BBQ or something like that and we intend to be there quite a few hours, I'm not able to start drinking with everyone else, I have to wait until later in the evening as I only last about an hour once I start drinking and then want to go home.....haha.

Excess skin...........enough said!


The BIGGEST thing to date for me is - I feel normal now.
This operation for me was to get that exact result. I didn't want to be glamoures or change my appearance (ie. hair, dress sense etc), I just wanted to be normal.
I didn't want to stand out in anyway or be the center of a conversation and I think slowly, I am achieving this which makes me really happy.
When I go up to pick the kids up from school now, I look like most of the other Mums there rather than the fat Mum trying to hide in the corner and not make contact with anyone else. When I go out now, I feel confident I look nice and can relax and enjoy the evening rather than constantly fidgeting with my clothes and hiding behind my husband or kids.

Life is good.

I have managed a couple of bottles of water yesterday and doing the same again today. Had a lovely prawn and salad dinner the other night and tonight will also be something tasty and healthy. I get so angry with myself because when I actually do get myself back on track, I feel fantastic...........I guess that is never going to change eh?

Right, off to make some breakfast.

3 comments:

JustJo said...

it IS the little things that make you realise how far you have come! Awesome stuff!
I know for me, when I lost all the weight, I was still shopping as a "fat" person... it took my sister in law to point it out to me to make me realise that I could actually choose fashionable stuff, not the items that were going to cover everything!
What a break through :)
You are going great guns girl - so proud of you *hugs*
xoxo

P.S. I miss being able to tie my shoes without having to hold my breath! hehehe..... bloody baby belly *wink*

Cinders said...

Your good points are fantastic. Well done Rachel.

Anonymous said...

r u going to the meet and greet rachel i am sure Lisa will have some good pointers for us on wat to wear...i am sure u wont ever be mutton dressed as lamb. my problem is know what is apropriate for the occassion am i under of over dressed never been a problem before with only ever one out fit for all ocassions

Felicity